Monday, October 13, 2014

Who to Root for?

Next Saturday the 18th, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish take on the Florida State Seminoles in a college football prime time show down. This game pits the storied tradition that is Fighting Irish football against the defending Division 1 National Champions. Coming into the game, both teams are undefeated and 6-0. In this matchup, there are serious playoff implications on the line. Fans are going to struggle not to be interested in this one. Heck, I might even watch the game and I almost never watch college football. However, the dilemma that I and many other fans will be faced with is who do you root for in a game like this? Can you root against both teams, but still find a way to enjoy the game?

Normally I have a rule against ever rooting for Notre Dame. You would think I would like the Fighting Irish. They have a history of success and they place a strong emphasis on truly being a student athlete. They actually hold their players accountable. The problem is the team comes across as high and mighty and with a better then you attitude. As an organization they appear pompous. The media just feeds the beast that they created by continuously overrating and over reporting everything about Notre Dame.  The team is guaranteed to get multiple number one votes in the AP poll just because of their name. You have to read about their results in nearly every paper. There is no escaping their omnipresence. It is just plain annoying.

ND's opponent, Florida State, is also a team I might have liked. They are a traditional power, but not from the SEC. They don't play the spread offense or the option. They score points using both their passing and rushing attack. On defense they are hard hitting and dominate. They have just one problem keeping me from rooting for them, their starting quarterback, Jameis Winston. The Seminoles signal caller is a complete at total knucklehead. From shop lifting to alleged rape he just can't stay out of trouble. I will choose to look the other way for players on teams I already support, but I can't bring myself to voluntarily align with a team lead by such a nincompoop. If the Seminoles could just bring back E.J. Manuel I would gladly jump on their band wagon. Instead they are playing Famous Jameis, who seems dead set on out doing Johnny Manziel any way he can.

So, the Fighting Irish are out for their history of arrogance and general over exposure and the Seminoles are out because of their idiotic quarterback. I am left wanting to watch the game, but not wanting to root for either team. If I do turn it on, I will be forced to pick between the lesser of two evils. I just don't know who I will end up rooting for. I think I will just have to let the game speak to me and see where I fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment